Questions & Answers
- What are the ECHA Cloud Services?
The ECHA Cloud Services is a secure online platform where you can easily access ECHA’s IT applications anytime, anywhere.
The current services available include the IUCLID Cloud Trial aimed for testing the service and the IUCLID Cloud service with additional security related features, backup and a higher volume of storage.
- What are the IUCLID Cloud services?
There are currently two IUCLID Cloud services available: The IUCLID Cloud Trial and the IUCLID Cloud service. They both have the same functionalities, but they target different uses. Learn more about the IUCLID Cloud services in this video.
The IUCLID Cloud Trial service is designed for users who wish to get familiarised with a trial version of IUCLID in the Cloud. It is aimed for trying out the tool, its functionalities and can be used to do trainings.
The IUCLID Cloud is designed for industry to prepare dossiers for submission to ECHA.
- Free of charge
- Immediate subscription activation
- Target 24/7 availability except for pre-defined maintenance periods occurring outside the working hours
- Automated service updates with every new release of IUCLID Cloud
Differences in service terms for the IUCLID Cloud services:
IUCLID Cloud Trial IUCLID Cloud Quota of data per subscription 100 MB 1 GB Attachment size limit (per file) 10 MB 20 MB Maximum limit for dossier import 20MB 100MB Subscription terminates automatically due to non-usage After 90 days After 2 years Backup of data Not available Yes Helpdesk support Limited Fully dedicated Target user group Everyone interested Everyone interested
1SME means micro, small and medium-sized enterprises within the meaning of Recommendation (EC) No 361/2003 of the Commission of 6 May 2003 on the definition of micro, small and medium-sized enterprises. To learn how to determine your company size category, please check these 5 steps.
- How do I log into ECHA Cloud Services?
To access ECHA Cloud Services you need to have an ECHA account with an associated Legal Entity. An ECHA Account is the starting point to gain access to ECHA’s IT systems, which include ePIC, R4BP, REACH-IT and the ECHA Cloud Services. From here, you can manage access to your ECHA Account and administer the information related to your Legal Entity. Watch how to create your own ECHA account with this video.
If you already have an ECHA Account, you can already use your credentials to log into ECHA Cloud Services and subscribe to the IUCLID Cloud Trial and IUCLID Cloud services. Watch how in this video.
Follow this link to create an ECHA account: https://ulem-web.echa.europa.eu/ulem-industry/views/selfregister/index.xhtml.
For more information about ECHA Accounts, visit its Q&A at https://echa.europa.eu/support/qas-support/browse/-/qa/70Qx/view/topic/ECHA+Accounts.
- How can I subscribe to the IUCLID Cloud services?
If you are the Legal Entity manager, you need to subscribe to the service here: http://ecs.echa.europa.eu. Watch how to subscribe in this video.
If you are not a Legal Entity manager, your Legal Entity manager needs to assign you an IUCLID Cloud Trial or/and IUCLID Cloud service role. Then you will be able to access the IUCLID Cloud service from the ‘Access service’ option in the ECHA Cloud services page.
- Can I provide access to my data to someone else (i.e consultant)?
Yes, ECHA Cloud services uses the central ECHA Account user management solution allowing the creation of several user accounts and allowing the linking of users from other companies to access the ECHA Cloud Services. Learn to manage users and their access rights in this video.
This can be very useful for SMEs to delegate work to consultancy companies and work on the preparation of dossiers, which gives more transparency to the work they do. Watch this video to see how.
- Can I give access to a consultant only to one substance and not to all my data?
No, you cannot. Access to a so-called “foreign” user would include access to all data in your account, not just to a certain substance. IUCLID Cloud does not allow restricting access per substance to users. In case you are working with several consultants; ask each of them to prepare your data with their own accounts and, once ready, they shall give you your dataset and your dossier, for your own record.
To learn more about the best practice for SMEs and consultants, visit new ECHA’s web page here where ECHA gives tips on how to cooperate for REACH registration using IUCLID Cloud. You can also check some thoughts on collaboration perspectives in this ECHA’s Newsletter article.
To know more about the different alternatives SMEs and service providers have to collaborate, watch the webinar ECHA did in cooperation with Chemical Watch here.
- What functionalities are available in the IUCLID Cloud services?
Both IUCLID Cloud and IUCLID Cloud Trial have the same functionalities. The main differences relate to the higher storage capacity and backup functionalities, which are only available in the IUCLID Cloud. To learn more about all IUCLID Cloud functionalities, check out our video tutorials here.
Users are able to perform all basic functionalities as in IUCLID 6 that are needed to import/export and create substances and dossiers. If you are the Legal Entity manager, you can also manage the service, the users and their access rights. Users can run the validation assistant on substances and dossiers, generate a CSR or check what data might be published on ECHA’s website after submitting a dossier with the dissemination preview tool. Check this video tutorial to see how it works.
Besides, the IUCLID Cloud Client provides access to a fully functional IUCLID 6 application, allowing users to work, as they would do with IUCLID 6. The IUCLID Cloud Client can be launched directly from the IUCLID Cloud service interface.
- I am an old user of IUCLID and I would like to transfer my data to the Cloud, what is the best way to move to the IUCLID Cloud?
It is possible to import all your data from any IUCLID 5.6 or newer version into IUCLID Cloud easily. For this, you simply need to use the export functionality in your previous installation and then import the data into IUCLID Cloud.
If you have an older version than 5.6, you first need to upgrade to version 5.6, and then you will be able to import into IUCLID Cloud (Follow this link to see how to do it or watch this video tutorial on how to exchange data between different versions of IUCLID 6).
- Can I use the IUCLID Cloud services for ECHA submission purposes?
Yes, the IUCLID Cloud services are ready to prepare REACH dossiers that can be submitted to ECHA, via REACH-IT. To learn more how to prepare your lead dossier for submission with IUCLID Cloud, check our video tutorial here.
When you use the IUCLID Cloud Client, it is important to note that the IUCLID Cloud Trial Service has limited storage capacity and guarantee on data integrity, and it is not recommended to use this service for long run operations. We recommend using the IUCLID Cloud service, which has 1GB of disk capacity.
- Can non-SME companies use the ECHA Cloud service?
Yes, any company and consultants supporting them with their registrations can use this service.
- What can I do if I suspect that my IUCLID instance has been compromised?
If you think your IUCLID instance was hacked or taken over by someone else, we can help you secure it. First, check whether the following symptoms can be explained by something more ordinary:
- I can't sign in to my ECHA account. Is it possible you forgot your password? Click here to recover it and regain access to your account.
- I see unfamiliar files or my substances or dossiers have disappeared. Do you share your IUCLID instance with other users belonging to the same Legal Entity? If so, another user of the same Legal Entity may have added or deleted them.
If you have checked all of the above and still believe your IUCLID instance has been compromised or hacked send an e-mail to email@example.com, providing the details below:
- your Legal Entity name
- your Legal Entity’s country of origin
- the VAT of your Legal Entity
- your username
- your full name
- your e-mail address
- your phone number
For speeding up the process you can alternatively provide only a phone number, asking to be called back for sharing the details above via phone.
For further information on security, please read our security statement here
- How does ECHA secure my data in the cloud?
By design, the IUCLID Cloud solution provides a dedicated IUCLID instance with a dedicated database to store the information. From this point of view, the data of a company is segregated and not stored with data from other companies.
Moreover, IUCLID data access is fully controlled by the Legal Entity manager who has subscribed to the IUCLID Cloud Trial service or the IUCLID Cloud service, and the user who has been given access to these services by the Legal Entity manager. ECHA employees or member state authorities do not have access to the data stored in the ECHA Cloud service. For further information on security, please read our security statement here
- In case of need, what kind of support can I expect from ECHA?
ECHA has created a dedicated helpdesk to support ECHA Cloud Services users. This dedicated support is available once you login to the ECHA Cloud Services, via the Cloud bar support icon on the top of your screen, and it covers your subscriptions to the ECHA Cloud and its different services (e.g. the IUCLID Cloud service). Note that the IUCLID Cloud Trial Service only covers technical helpdesk support. To learn more about all types of help available in the ECHA Cloud Services, check our video tutorial here.
If you need help with your ECHA Accounts or with any other ECHA Scientific IT Tool (REACH-IT, R4BP, ePIC, Chesar or IUCLID 6) please contact ECHA via the usual contact page at: https://echa.europa.eu/contact
- When I try to open the IUCLID Cloud Client on macOS I get a message, "launch.jnlp" can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer. What should I do?
- If you trust that the message really is derived from an ECHA server, in your macOS, go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General, and then click on "Open anyway". After confirming the action, a splash screen for Java should appear, and then IUCLID Cloud Client should start loading.
- Can I use any internet browser to access the ECHA Cloud services?
- ECHA has tested the compatibility of the IUCLID Cloud services with some of the main internet browsers. Using the latest version of Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer guarantees the best user experience.
- How does the backup/restore functionality in IUCLID Cloud service work?
IUCLID data is backed up once a day. Whenever an instance becomes idle, a backup is scheduled to secure the IUCLID data for that instance. In this case, the next programmed backup happens 24 hours afterwards. In practice this means that if you save your data several times during the day, ECHA Cloud Service can only restore the data that was backed-up after the last session that went idle or the last daily programmed backup. This behaviour is similar to the services that IT departments offer in most organisations.
If you need to restore data from your cloud, contact the ECHA Cloud Services via the support request form available in the Cloud bar. Use the Category: Technical, I have a problem and the ECHA Cloud support team will restore the latest complete backup available (Note that all your cloud database will be restored). Do not perform any operation until you are informed that the backup has been restored.
ECHA’s retention policy facilitates the restoration of IUCLID data for a maximum of one year in case of a technical issue.
- How does Chesar communicate with IUCLID Cloud?
- IUCLID Cloud can be used to exchange data with Chesar 3.4. More information about setting up the connection can be found in the Help text of Chesar, and also in this video. To learn how to synchronise Chesar with IUCLID Cloud watch this video.
- Where can I find training material about ECHA Cloud and its services?
- ECHA is regularly producing video tutorials and uploading them under ECHA’s Youtube channel. In these videos, ECHA explains some of the most relevant IUCLID Cloud functionalities that are available.
- Is my IUCLID Cloud automatically updated to the latest version of IUCLID?
- Yes. IUCLID Cloud will be always upgraded to the newest version of IUCLID 6 by ECHA, and will not require any action from users of IUCLID Cloud.
- How do I export to a previous version of IUCLID from IUCLID Cloud?
A new version of IUCLID might include changes to the IUCLID format and therefore, if you export from IUCLID Cloud to a an older version of IUCLID, you will need to perform a special export to ensure that your IUCLID dataset or dossier is compatible with the older version.
To do this, launch the IUCLID Cloud client, found in the menu of the IUCLID Cloud web interface. Go to the dataset(s) or dossier(s) you wish to export, right-click, and select ‘Export…’ which launches the Export wizard. In the second step of the Export wizard, check the box named: ‘Export to previous major version’ before finishing the wizard. This will ensure that your IUCLID dataset or dossier will be imported into one version older IUCLID.
When exporting a IUCLID dataset or dossier between IUCLID Cloud instances, or between IUCLID Cloud and a locally installed version of IUCLID with the same version, you can export as normal, and no special export is required. You can find further information about this topic in this video tutorial.
- How do I add additional endpoint information outside of the guided dossier preparation tool?
The guided dossier preparation tool in IUCLID Cloud provides users with a simpler and more efficient way to prepare their dossiers. The approach focuses on mandatory information requirements through a series of pre-defined tasks. Please note that if you have additional information and data for the following scientific endpoints: toxicological; eco-toxicological; environmental fate and behaviour; physical and chemical, which does not appear as a task, you are still obliged to report and submit this information to ECHA. To do this from the guided dossier preparation tool, select ‘switch to dataset’ from the main project page and create the necessary endpoints to report your study or studies. To learn more about this tool, watch this video tutorial.
- How can I reduce the space used by my IUCLID instance?
To reduce the space used by your instance, please consider reducing the size of attachments. This may be possible by using a different format or reducing the quality, whilst still having a readable document.